Saturday, August 27, 2011
Yes, after 27 months of nursing Mimi has finally given up the "Bobbies." It was a gradual thing, and the clincher was one day when she said "Bobbies are for babies" and I confirmed that indeed, they were. She never turned back.
Mimi started dance class this month and loves it. She spends much of her time running around in circles and staring at herself in the mirror. Can't blame her, she's dang cute in her tutu and leotard.
She had an issue with fear for about a week or so... "rocks have faces" is what she would say, then cry and need much soothing. We never did figure out what her comment referred to.
Lots of emotional tantrums, needs to hold the Bobbies and needs lots of Mommy. We began reading books about emotions and have tried to help her identify her emotional distress after the tantrum happens.
Pretend play has started! She has a pretend cat on the end of a purple shoelace named Simba and a baby named Baby July who is growing in her bellybutton. She also initiates pretend train rides to all sorts of places (especially restaurants that serve potatoes).
Mimi started to request to stay home all day. Often. And shes started to drop her afternoon naps. Yikes.
Oxnard beach trip! Mimi's first real beach experience. It was super fun... Overcast when we first arrived, so she played with Poppy on the pirate ship themed playground. The sun eventually broke thru the marine layer and we headed down to the beach. She plopped right down and started scooping sand - in her dress and socks! Eventually we got a swim suit on her and Poppy showed her how to play in the waves.
She has a new imaginary friend, Baby Bird. She dresses him/her (Baby Bird is a bit tricky). She also discovers Dora the Explorer via her Leap Pad. Dora also becomes a fun imaginary friend to play with and dress up. She dresses her friends by laying out her clothes in a neat stack on the floor - panties 1st, then leggings, shirt, socks, shoes.
More staying in all day. Which is kinda ok since it's a hot summer. Luckily I persuaded her to leave the house a few times, since our friends were visiting from New Orleans. We went to Disneyland with them and had a great time. Then Mimi fell ill on the way home. She had a cold that lingered for 2 weeks.
We went on a family vacation to San Diego. Our landlord had to do a termite treatment beneath the house and suggested we leave for a few days. So we put Luna and Captain Henry up at the cat hotel and headed south. San Diego was lovely, such perfect weather. We went to Sea World and Historic Point Loma for the touristy stuff and spent the rest of the time chilling out at the hotel and the pool (and hot tub - Mimi loved it). Mimi was super attached to Poppy the whole trip which was a wonderful thing for Mommy to watch. :) Unfortunately, we cut the trip a bit short due to a rattle in Mimi's chest and Mommy getting a nasty crink in her neck.
Mimi got tooth #18, bottom molar.
Breakthrough: Mimi asked to fall asleep with Poppy. For the first time since she could tell the difference between Mommy and Poppy! Must have been all the time they spent together during the week Greg had off.
Thursday, April 28, 2011
Better late than never.
- Bob Baker Marionette Theatre for friends b-day party
- Diagnosed with labial adhesion, used premarin for 3 weeks. Moody Mimi during that time! It was not what we really wanted to do, but the adhesion was so major that our doc. said we needed to. Luckily it was only for a short time. She had it when she was an infant, too, but not as severe.
- 2 teeth! #14 (lover left canine) & #15 (upper right canine)
- POTTY TRAIN! (3-day method, success!) Mimi uses her little potty all the time and we take one on the road.
- Mimi bobs her hair! (She hates getting her hair shampooed or brushed. This makes it easier for us to care for and looks darn cute.)
- After a few great potty training weeks we get pee strike and constipation. All remedied with some rewards (plastic bugs!).
- Night Wean (3rd and final time)
- Cranky Mimi from not enough rest...
- She's starting to talk with/to her toys and is more independent in her playing.
- Start Sleep Log, focus on bedtime routine. Learn a lot, back on track with sleep! Whew. Mimi is a 9 or 10 hr, a night sleeper... and wakes up between 5:30 + 7.
- Pony rides! Yeehaw, finally our little cowgirl gets up the gumption to ride the ponies. And loves it. Of course.
- Tooth #16 (top left canine)
- Transition from little blue bathtub to grown up big tub.
- Mimi uses big toilet! She divides her time between the little potty and the big toilet, but luckily we don't have to lug that potty around with us in public anymore.
- Cutting back on daytime nursing in hopes of weaning in the next few months.
- Lots of spinning and dancing!
- Daytime nursing cut WAY back. Started with only 3 times a day, by the end of the month it was down to 1 or 2 a day and sometimes 0!
- Mimi asks to sleep in her Own Room!! We moved her in that very nite and she's been happy ever since.
- Mimi starts swim lessons at the lovely Rose Bowl Aquatic Center in Pasadena. Heated saline pool. Very nice. For never having been in or seen a swimming pool she did rather well. No tears, no major fear... but she did cling to Mommy rather tightly.
- Mimi is starting to say some not-very-nice things. Usually about babies, and how she doesn't like them. Or how she doesn't want to play with certain people (usually at a playground). It's not really noticeable to anyone other than us, but it's not a good habit and we're addressing it.
- Uncle Billy was in town for work, so we went to meet him for dinner at Border Grill downtown. Mina had a blast running around the patio and dancing with the twinkle lights.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Bullet points ok? I hope so, because I'm behind on this post and wanna get it done with already!
- counts to 10
- calls herself 'Mina' not Mimi, and wants to do stuff on her own "Big Girl Mina do"
- starts singing songs, usually the kukuburra song
- can identify the letters in her name and sings the ABC's
- still nursing, but not as often. start weaning at night.
- celebrate Thankgiving in La Jolla at The Lodge at Torrey Pines
- visit San Diego Wild Animal Park
- Gram visit!
- lots of singing, adds Jungle Book songs to her repertoire
- more adventurous at playgrounds, masters walking up slides
- after 1 month of night wean, a few bad nights and it's all over :(
- speech continues to explode! asks "what this is?" and "what's his/her name?" and "where is this from?" all the time. she loves long multi-syllable words, such as: mismatched (missymatch) combination, comfortable, restaurant (reserant).
- Christmas day she used her potty - pee and poop!
- Uncle Billy visit